HMCS / HMH What's Happening
Planning for the Bicentennial is underway
2018: Opukahaia appeared in History Theatre on Oahu and Hawai`i,
and the books are coming in December.
Visit the Bicentennial page now for all the latest information.
2019: We will take History Theatre to New England as well as other islands in Hawai`i.
Annual Meeting, Roll Call, and Open House
The Annual Meeting weekend is always full of fun and celebration. Start with breakfast Friday at HMH and continue through that day and on into Saturday with the Annual Meeting, the Roll Call, and open house afternoon.
We will have return visits of history characters on Friday, April 5, in a special pau hana theatre performance.
Future Annual Meeting dates will be:
April 6, 2019
April 25, 2020
Here's an outline of the weekend as we spent it in 2018 ...
Friday, April 20 - Morning and afternoon
• 8:30 a.m. Breakfast with the President and new Executive Director at HMH, reservations please. Donation requested.
• Visit the archives before it opens, by reservation
• Friday historic house tours at HMH as usual with no admission charged for enrolled members of HMCS.
Tours are on the hour beginning at 11 a.m., with final tour starting at 3 p.m.
5:30-7:30 p.m. History Theatre
• A special pau hana theatre at HMH featuring two characters followed by talkback time to discuss the role, the research, and the times. $30 per person includes pupu and beverage, reservations requested. The characters in 2018 were:
• Reverend Lorrin Andrews
• Samuel Kamakau
Gathering and food from 5:30. Performances began at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 21 - Annual Meeting and Open House
PARKING was requested at Kawaiaha`o Plaza Garage, corner South and Kawaiaha`o Streets. Free. Otherwise, the city lot at Beretania and Alapai Streets was the best option.
• 9:30 a.m. Registration and Coffee - sign the register, get a name tag, meet your family
• 10:00 a.m. Annual Meeting Call to Order and election of Trustees
Roll Call and the Annual Photo follow immediately.
lunch under the tent - pre-order a box lunch or bring your own (Those with special food needs are encouraged to bring their own as we cannot arrange for substitutes in the box lunches.)
AS ALWAYS ...
• Games for keiki will be offered during the meeting.* Please let us know the ages of your children.
• The Roll Call of descendants by order of arrivals and the Annual Photo will follow the meeting -
EVERYONE in attendance should join in the photo.
• Who will be the youngest this year? Who will have come the furthest? and which of our kupuna will admit to being most elderly?
• Pre-order lunch or potluck under our tent while the Board of Trustees holds its first meeting of the new year.
12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. FREE open house and activities for all ages
• 1:00 p.m. A special visit by Rev. William Richards was performed in 2018 in the performance garden, Kahua Ho`okipa
We are rebuilding his hale and celebrated his role in developing Hawaiʻi’s own form of constitutional monarchy
after he resigned from the mission.
• Special hale-building activities for all ages which include the knots needed to make the cordage.
• Printing press activities with take-home prints
• Lauhala weaving
• The houses will be open for exploration.
• See the Printing Press in action
• Visit the Archives and learn how to use our online resources
Box lunches were prepared by A Hui Hou Catering. Your choices of contents was:
• Shoyu chicken lunch with rice, furikake, ume, salad and celery sticks and a lemon bar. $16
• Sandwich of Chicken salad with grapes, walnuts & celery, on whole wheat bread with carrot sticks and a lemon bar $16
• Sandwich of Egg Salad with carrots and a cookie $13
Please place your lunch orders by Tuesday, April 17.
Online lunch order is now closed. Please call 447-3926, and speak with Lisa.
The nominations for Trustees will be found here.
Help keep us up to date with your family on the Genealogy page.
See the Site's Calendar page for all the latest events at HMH.
The 2017 Annual Meeting was April 21-22, 2017
Read about it in the Fall 2017 Maile Wreath.
SEE the 2017 Annual Meeting in video.