HMCS / HMH What's Happening
Early activities of the Bicentennial are underway
Fall, 2019: We take History Theatre to New England as well as other islands in Hawai`i and
kick off the Bicentennial in Boston!
Visit the Bicentennial page now for all the latest information.
Annual Meeting 2020 will be on April 25, 2020
You are invited ...
April 6, 2019: Annual Meeting, Roll Call, and Open House
The Annual Meeting weekend is always full of fun and celebration. Start with breakfast Friday at HMH and continue through that day and all day Saturday with the Annual Meeting, the Roll Call, open house afternoon and an art opening, too.
We will have return visits of history characters on Friday, April 5, 2019 and a special visitor DURING the Annual Meeting on Saturday.
Here's an outline of the weekend ...
Friday, April 5, 2019 - Morning and afternoon
• Visit the archives before it opens, BY RESERVATION with Lisa Solomine.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR MISSIONARY FAMILY NAME(s) so that the Archivist can prepare for your visit
• Friday historic house tours at HMH as usual with no admission charged for enrolled members of HMCS.
Tours are on the hour beginning at 11 a.m., with final tour starting at 3 p.m.
NOTE: The houses will be open for exploring after the Annual Meeting on Saturday; there will not be regular tours, however.
5:00-8:00 p.m. History Theatre, Evening Tour, and Victorian Tea
• A special history theatre and evening tour with a nod to Queen Emma as we portray her lady-in-waiting, Lucy Peabody. Also visiting will be William Cooper Parke. Visit the Event Page here to make your reservation. $25 per person includes Victorian Tea, reservations requested. Gathering and food from 5:00. Performances and tour begin at 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 6, 2019 - Annual Meeting and Open House
PARKING has been requested at Kawaiaha`o Plaza Garage, corner South and Kawaiaha`o Streets. Free. Otherwise, the city lot at Beretania and Alapai Streets is the best option.
MINUTES OF APRIL 21, 2018 ... will be available at registration and are posted here for you to read: MINUTES
Pre-Register before Friday so that we can pre-print your name tag and make the morning smoother.
• 9:30 a.m. Registration and Coffee - sign the register, get a name tag, meet your family
• 10:00 a.m. Annual Meeting Call to Order and Trustee election
Hear Neal Hitch and meet a special visitor for the day!
Roll Call and the Annual Photo follow immediately. (This year you may ask for an additional photo by family.)
BUY your books ... or pre-order for pickup that day. Read more here.
LUNCH by Ed Kenney of Town Restaurant: A special buffet of local delicacies will be offered in the cafe area for $20 (Pre-pay online for ease that day; walk-ins welcomed as well). A donation of beer and wine will also be available as well as juice and water. (Those with special food needs are encouraged to bring their own as Chef Kenney will make the menu according to what is fresh that week.) You may also bring your own picnic.
Purchase your lunch ticket or learn more here
AS ALWAYS ...
• Games for keiki will be offered during the meeting.* Please let us know the ages of your children.
• The Roll Call of descendants by order of arrivals and the Annual Photo will follow the meeting -
EVERYONE in attendance should join in the photo: descendants, guests, consorts, and Trustees.
• Who will be the youngest this year? Who will have come the furthest? and which of our kupuna will admit to being most elderly?
• STAY FOR LUNCH Pre-order lunch by Thursday, April 4, 2019 or buy it at noon, or bring your own.
• The Board of Trustees will hold its first meeting of the new year at 2 p.m. this year so that they may enjoy the noon hour with family and friends.
12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. FREE open house and activities for all ages
• Special activities for all ages which include lei making
• Ni`ihau shell lei project ($30 kit)
• Lauhala weaving
• The houses will be open for exploration.
• See the Printing Press in action
• Visit the Archives and learn how to use our online resources
Uptown Catering by Ed Kenney offers lunch ... ($20)
• Buffet with many options including one meat
• Salads of local vegetables
• and by donation: Juice, water, wine, or beer
Please place your lunch orders by Thursday, April 4 or bring your money on Saturday
Order Saturday Lunch or Friday Breakfast HERE
5 p.m. to 8 p.m. CONTACT Exhibit Opening Reception at Hawaiian Mission Houses, an annual juried exhibition of contemporary art exploring the notion of contact as it relates to the Hawaiian Islands, its people and their experiences. Free. Read more at THEIR WEBSITE.
7 p.m. Departure for optional, free artist-led walking tour of CONTACT installations throughout the Capitol district, ending at St. Andrews Cathedral for a special performance of "Strings of Sovereignty", starting at 8 p.m. See their site for more.
The nomination for Trustee is here.
Help keep us up to date with your family on the Genealogy page.
See the Site's Calendar page for all the latest events at HMH.
Just for fun,
SEE the 2017 Annual Meeting in video.